Common Questions

An image of a child performing an activity in early learning centre australia.
What are the operating hours?

Here at Shine, we operate Monday to Friday, 50 weeks a year.

Shine Carlingford and Shine Brooklyn open 7am to 6pm

Shine St Albans opens 6:30am to 6:30pm

Our services are closed on all public holidays, weekends and for 2 to 3 weeks during the Christmas and New Year period.

Please ensure you check the operating hours of your service to ensure your needs are met.

How do I enrol?

Following a tour and joining the waitlist, you will receive an enrolment offer and be required to complete an enrolment form with attached documents on the My Family Lounge.

At the time of enrolment, you will be required to pay the Enrolment Fees to secure your child’s position.

Orientation is scheduled with the Centre Director prior to your child’s first day.

What to expect on my child’s first day

First days can be tough for both families and children, so it’s natural to feel a bit anxious about this big change to the family routine.

Our educators are more than happy to explain the process of dropping off your child and saying goodbye.

They may also stay in touch during the first day to let you know how things are going.

At the end of each day you can login to Earlyworks and read through their Observations, Daily Journals and Daily communication (relating to meals consumed, nappy changes, sleep times etc) and view photo’s to stay connected and follow your child’s progression at Shine.

What not to bring to Shine?
  • Soft toys or toys in general
  • Food – we cater for all children with allergies and some children who come to Shine have not yet been diagnosed with an allergy. We strive to be a total egg free and nut free service.
How do I pay my fees?

At enrolment, we supply you with a direct debit form and billing is conducted automatically every fortnight on a Friday, for one week in arrears and one week in advance. You can change your billing details at any time by notifying your Centre Director.

What happens if my scheduled day falls on a public holiday?

Like most early learning services, our services close for public holidays. If your scheduled day falls on a public holiday, we still need to charge to cover staff and other fixed costs. This is a sector-standard practice. Early learning professionals are entitled to be paid on public holidays as in other industries.

The Australian Government’s Child Care Subsidy (CCS) covers up to 42 absence days per financial year, which includes public holidays. So, unless you exceed this quota, you will be eligible for the CCS discount on public holidays.

Are families advised if other children at the service are unwell?

Advice to families will depend on the nature of the illness. For example, if several children at the same service seem to be showing symptoms of the same illness, the service will let you know what to look out for and if your child should stay at home.

If there’s been a confirmed case of an infectious disease in the service, an Infectious Disease Notification will be displayed at the service and an email sent to families.

What happens when we go on holidays?

Fees are payable to maintain your child’s place in the service and is standard industry practice. The CCS covers up to 42 unspecified absence days a year, so unless you exceed this quota, you’ll be eligible for CCS on family holidays.


Step 1. Sign in to your myGov account. If you don’t have one, you will need to create a myGov account.

Step 2. Link myGov to Centrelink. You can do this under Services.

Step 3. Select Centrelink and complete the Child Care Subsidy Assessment.

To get Child Care Subsidy you need to meet certain criteria. You may be eligible if you or your partner:

  • care for your child at least 2 nights per fortnight, or have 14% care
  • are liable for fees for care provided at an approved child care service, and
  • meet the residency rules

Your child must also:

  • meet immunisation requirements, and
  • not be attending secondary school unless an exemption applies
Immunisation requirements

For Child Care Subsidy eligibility, your child needs to: 

  • be up to date with immunisations listed in the Child programs table on the Department of Health’s National Immunisation Program Schedule 
  • be on a catch-up schedule according to the current Australian Immunisation Handbook, or 
  • have an approved medical exemption which has been recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)  

 You must make sure your child is up to date with immunisations to meet the requirements. 

How can I visit a centre?

You can do this by requesting a tour when you join the Waiting List or when you make a General Enquiry. The tour will allow you to meet the dedicated team of educators within the service, see the environment and answer any questions you may have

How do I prepare?

The years of early childhood are so fast paced with every moment being an opportunity for learning, these years are going to be some of the most fast paced for social, emotional and cognitive development for your child.  

At Shine, we try to find varied, fulfilling ways to engage your child and we have enveloped these to capture a holistic approach to development 

It’s the start of an amazing period of growth and development for them. If you’re happy, they’re more likely to be happy. 

We recommend you attend orientation with your child where children can familiarise themselves with the routine and the educators prior to commencement of care. 

What do I need to bring one my child’s first day?

Your Centre Director will provide you with a detailed list upon your enrolment. Please ensure all belongings are clearly labelled with your child’s first and last name.

  • Change of clothes (when involved with hands-on play-based learning, your child may get a little messy!)
  • Comfort item for rest time (if required), such as a blanket / dummy / milk bottle
  • Dummy’s must be in a sealed, named container (if required)
  • Blanket for nap time, we provide all other linen
  • Any medications – please give these directly to staff to manage and to complete the required documentation.
  • Sterilised Bottles
  • Expressed milk or Formula
What is included in the daily fee?
  • Nutritionally sound meals and snacks
  • Qualified Early Childhood Educators
  • Developmentally Appropriate Educational Programs
  • School Readiness and Transtion to School programs
  • Nappies, wipes, powder and nappy rash cream
  • Full cream and reduced fat milk
  • Sleeping sacks for babies
  • Sun Safe hats and interactive Sunscreen station
  • Water Stations and outdoor bubblers
Why do my fees sometimes fluctuate from week to week?

If you claim the Child Care Subsidy, your fees can fluctuate due to the timing of the Child Care Rebate payments, and your level of Child Care Susbsidy.

This is triggered by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). We are always happy to answer your questions about your account and statements.

What do I do if my child is unwell?

It’s best for your child, other children and educators to keep your child at home if they are feeling unwell. Please call the centre or send a note to your child rooms on Earlyworks to let them know of your child’s absence.  

You will be required to sign them as absent when you next attend so as we have a record of the absentee day. 

We implement exclusion periods for illnesses in accordance with the Staying Healthy in Childcare guide. All children absent with a contagious illness may return to care provided they have a medical clearance.

Do I still need to pay for a scheduled day if my child is sick?

Yes, our services need to charge for sick days to cover operating costs. This is standard practice across the industry. The CCS will cover up to 42 absence days a year.

Child Care Susbsidy

The Package includes a new Child Care Subsidy, which replaces the current Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate. The Child Care Subsidy will be paid directly to services.

Three things will determine a family’s level of Child Care Subsidy:

  • A family’s annual adjusted taxable income will determine the percentage of subsidy they are eligible for
  • An activity test will determine how many hours of subsidised care families can access, up to a maximum of 100 per fortnight, and
  • The type of child care service will determine the hourly rate cap.

Some basic requirements must be satisfied for an individual to be eligible to receive Child Care Subsidy for a child. These include:

  • the age of the child (must be 13 or under and not attending secondary school)
  • the child meeting immunisation requirements
What is Cessation of Care (CC)?

CCB cannot be paid before the child has physically attended care or after the last day the child was physically in care unless the child has previously used all its 42 absence days and there is evidence for an Additional Absence.

Get in Touch

 Fill out the below form and we´ll be in touch very soon!

Please select your centre

Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.